There is in the Christian bible a scripture in the book of John about Being in the world but not of it. It tells us not to love the things of the world. This is the key concept in being in the world but not of it.
It is not unspiritual to have material possessions. We are part of the Creator Source and thus deserving of abundance, and the Creator wants us to be blessed. However, it like the verse which says ” It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God”
This does not mean that we cannot have riches, but it is the love of the material possessions which keeps us from our Spiritual Being. A rich man will have a hard time giving up his possessions to trust in the abundance of Spirit to be there, than for something which seems impossible to us in the physical world to occur, like a camel passing through the eye of a needle. For many who gain riches see come to love the riches more than their spiritual growth. They may say they are focused on their spiritual growth, but ask them to give it all away and trust that the Creator will provide for them, and they will probably back away. It is the attitude of attachment, and pride based upon material possessions and wealth over spiritual growth. One can become self righteous about having worked hard for their wealth and why should they share it.
This is a lesson so many of us have to learn, myself included. For we see daily on the news what it means to be poor, hungry, homeless and afraid. None of us want to be that way. We can believe in our heads that the Creator will provide, but to actually have complete faith that will occur is another level of spirituality that we must work at obtaining. To be in the world, but not of it. For the world around us tells us to work hard, make money, buy things and live the good life.
So why does a poor man who gives to another not find themselves rich. My understanding is that the poor in the world are showing us a reflection of ourselves, that most of us don’t want to look upon. The poor who share with others give because they know what it means to be without. They do not expect anything in return. Most have a consciousness of despair, that they are poor, unloved, forgotten and for some reason they deserve this. When they are able to move beyond that consciousness, things will change for them. It is our part to help them shift their consciousness as we shift ours.
The Creator blesses us with riches so that we can do for others, so that all may be blessed. There is a universal law of creation which is about giving and receiving. This law speaks of the constant flow of the Universal energy. A full cup cannot receive more. We must empty our cup in order that it be filled. This speaks not only of material things, but of wisdom, truth, love, compassion all things, as we give unto others of the abundance of creation with which we have been blessed, even more can come to us. We should not do this as an ego lesson, that if I give away something, I expect more in return. That is of the world and not of spirit.
It does not mean that we have to give everything away to the needy. It means that we must be willing always when another is in need to be willing to help in whatever way we are able without first thinking, is this convenient for me, what do I receive in return, or are they deserving. These are all ego drama scenarios we create to give us an excuse to turn a blind eye to the inequality in the world.
In the Buddhist religion there are some basic practices that speak to how to be in the world but not of it.
- Meditation – quiet time that we spend daily moving within our hearts and quieting our minds. Letting go of the thoughts and problems of our daily life and focusing upon our connection with the Creator, the Divine Universal Oneness of which we are a part. So that we may feel and hear the energy of Oneness that brings joy, healing and balance in to our lives.
- Watching and being mindful of our thoughts, emotions, words and actions. We create the world in which we live by our thoughts and the strength of emotion we put behind that thought as we speak or act creates what we experience in the outer world. If we wish to walk in balance and harmony, we need to THINK before we speak or act. It this TRUTHFUL, is it HELPFUL, is it INNOCENT/without guile or harmful intent, is it NURTURING, is it KIND? For as we learn to be watchful of ourselves we open more to being aligned with higher Light.
- Practice Emptiness or No Drama in your life. Jesus said to Glenda Green in her book “Love without end” to look at things with innocent eyes. To see what is before you without creating a story or drama in your mind about what is happening, but simply to observe. In this we realize that all is temporary, a moment of experience, from which we can learn something, or simply experience the pure essence and joy of life.
- See the impermanence of life. Realize that all things are in a constant state of flux. We create and hold together our reality by our agreed upon matrix of creation. A daisy looks as it does because upon being here it was agreed it would look as it does to all who live within the matrix of creation on earth. A flower is constantly blooming and the blossom dying at the same instance. If you go to the ocean you come to realize that the tide within a half an hour can be at the edge of the shore or will have gone out beyond the rocks and someone who has climbed the rocks can be trapped if they are not aware. Your stock may be high right now and in a second fall to ruin. The world is an agreed upon illuision – it is spirit that is the eternal reality.
- Living in the present – the NOW MOMENT. Our minds are constantly evaluating everything around us based on past experiences and perceptions which create fear about the future. If we can still our mind to be in the present moment, the now, and connect with spirit, and allow our heart to guide us, the potential of the infinite becomes available and will guide us without fear into the future in balance and harmony with ALL LIFE.
I have been a Shaman in many past lives. You don’t need to believe in past lives, but I share this because yesterday I was reminded that my purpose in those lifetimes was to experience life and the ups and downs of our learning process and spiritual growth while living in the world but not being of it and then to help my community members as they went through the same to so that their process might be easier. So, again in this life my path is to learn to enjoy life, understand the challenges as opportunities to learn and grow, and to embrace the Beingness of Life as a Spirit in human form and then to share with others my experiences and to help them as they move through life to be able to balance the process of ….
Being in the world but not of it.
This is why at times many days may pass without a posting, for I have been going through my challenges and learning to balance the physical and spiritual. It is not always easy. To live in a nunnery or monastery would make it easier but that is not the path most of us have chosen.
The world can only change when we change ourselves. Dr. Wayne Dyer said,” When we change the way we look at things. The things we look at change.” If we see material wealth and our job as our means of support that it will stay. If we see it as a means to obtain freedom and to help others that is what it becomes. If we see ourselves defined by our wealth or status, that is who we are. If we see ourselves as souls having a human experience that we can change as we make each choice and have each learning experience, knowing that if it is not pleasant that this to0 shall pass.
So, this is my present moment experience to share will others. Let us learn to be in the world and enjoy the beauty and wonders and pleasures it has to offer, but to learn to keep our focus within our heart and our intent to allow the oneness of love within us to guide us as we choose to create a new world of freedom, love, compassion , abundance, hope and peace for all.
Blessings to each
I am Marguerite